This exceptionally rare 1960s sapphire and diamond suite from Cartier London is composed of a brooch and ear clips designed as stylized flowers. The sapphires gradually slope upwards to the center, giving the pieces a substantial three-dimensional quality.
Cartier opened its London headquarters in 1902 at the suggestion of King Edward VII who had been a longtime client of their original Paris location. It was he who christened Cartier “the jeweler of kings, the king of jewelers.” As local demand grew, they opened their first London workshop in 1922, employing English craftsmen trained in the Cartier style. The designs produced in London were known for their inventiveness and creativity, unconstrained by the more traditional Parisian aesthetic. The reach of the British Empire also brought stylistic influences from India and the Middle East.
1.55” x 1.69”
52 antique cut sapphires with approximate total weight of 22 carats
28 round brilliant cut diamonds with approximate total weight of 1.54 carats
18k white gold
Signed Cartier London with French assay marks
Approximately 1” in diameter
42 antique cut sapphires with approximate total weight of 12.36 carats
14 round brilliant cut diamonds with approximate total weight of 1.68 carats